Friday, June 28, 2013

La Paz: Ciudad de los Inmortales


After one week of passionate discoveries, I figured I should share some first thoughts. My latest adventure has brought me to the country of Bolivia. Despite having travelled to many places, I have not been able to stop contemplating this breathtaking environment. For starters, I'm sitting nearly 12,000 feet high and have quite literally learned to appreciate breathing. One can only marvel at the varying shades of dark brown and bright red rock formations that surround this spectacular city, be it the ever-glimmering Illimani or the restless municipality del Alto.

But why a city of immortals? Well, simply because that is how people jokingly describe the pedestrians who jolt across the street. It is funny at first until you end up pretty much doing the same thing. Moreover, I may be in the poorest South American country, yet I have never eaten so many delicacies throughout the day - every day. You truly have to pace yourself, be it maraquetta or cunape! One must fairly point out though that portions are significantly more reasonable (unlike in certain North American countries) and more balanced. For example, I still cannot begin to describe the flavor of exotic fruits such as papaya or chirimoya. Simply sublime.

Beyond my taste for fine-cuisine, I am also passionate about politics and development. Needless to be said, La Paz is a fascinating example of economic growth as well as disparity. I have spent the majority of my time strolling the streets of la Zona Sur and observing the thriving business of an upper-class society. However, these dozen of coffee shops do not eclipse the everyday poverty found in el Centro. One factual detail that must be known is that Bolivia remains one of the few Latin American countries to exhibit a majority indigenous population. As a result, reconciliation continues to be difficult between the poor and the rich. For example, last Sunday was the Aymara New Year, which is more commonly known as la San Juan. It was compelling to watch hundreds of average indigenous Bolivians stop working for three days in order to celebrate the calendar year, honor their ancestors, block roads for hours, dance around fires and drink a lot of beer. On the other hand, the top percentile Bolivian family continued to work strenuous 10 hour days, run errands in the marketplace and critique the lower classes with their neighbors that they had over for the special occasion. I find little sense in trying to resolve complacency or self-interest at the end of the day; however, bringing about reconciliation at an individual level seems to be a far more hopeful enigma. How would you go about it?

To finish, my presence is Bolivia has reminded me of the beauty, difficulty and power of love. I have been blessed with the opportunity to not only love a person who is dear to my heart but an entire family, culture and people. Love is truly immortal. A wise person recently told me that we must find el queder y el hacer. I have my own personal convictions but every journey seems to begin somewhere in community and in love. What does your spirit long for? Mine is simply thrilled to be in Bolivia.

No comments:

Post a Comment